Topic: Next Derby 101 is October 17th at 12pm  (Read 1368 times)

5 Scar Jeneral

Next Derby 101 is October 17th at 12pm
« on: September 20, 2010, 03:18:08 pm »
Our next DERBY 101 will take place SUNDAY, October 17th at 12:00 pm and last approximately 2 hours. It will be held at the TN State Fairgrounds Sports Arena off Wedgewood Avenue.

Derby 101 functions as the introduction to our Fresh Meat 8 week program. After attending 101 you have the option to jump into training with us or take some time to practice skills on your own before continuing training.  The workshop will consist of a tutorial of basic skating skills like squatting, crossovers, falls, whips and agility-minded skating.  Bring water and any gear you might have including a mouthguard. We do have a box of skates and pads available for lending if you own nothing. Most of the skates are size 7-9, so if you wear shoes bigger than a size 10, it might be hard to find skates in this box to fit your feetsies.  We do NOT have extra mouthguards, so you MUST bring your own. Make sure you take the time to mold it to your teeth before coming!!!

If you cannot make this particular practice, we allow women to join the "Fresh Meat Class" before the first week of training is up. Training continues every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 6-7pm and sometimes later into the night depending on your abilities and the trainer's plans for that practice (league practices run from 7-9pm directly following Fresh Meat practices). Please be sure to check the newbie training calendar for schedule changes.

For more information about the Skill Requirements, go to www.wftda.com/rules. If you are super ambitious jump into the rules themselves.

There are plenty of things you can be doing within the next few weeks to get yourself prepared for this. Please feel free to stop by a practice to watch or to chat with a skater. Wednesdays are scrimmage nights and are structured to mirror actual gameplay. I recommend observing these practices as well as any 6-7 hour Fresh Meat practices. Building your skating skills at local rinks and outdoor skating areas (Shelby Bottoms, Centennial Park, etc.) is a must. We expect every new skater to have a solid base in skating before we can begin to build upon this with derby skills.

The best place to try on and buy skates for roller derby is Asphalt Beach Skate Shop at 961 Woodland Street on the eastside of Nashville. Make sure you mention your desire to acquire skates for roller derby and they should give you 15% off your purchase. Loaner skates and gear are available for you to borrow until you can purchase your own gear. There are also MANY online stores like www.skates.com, www.rollergirlskates.com, www.lowpriceskates.com, etc., where you can find great deals and also get 10-15% off your purchases using promotional codes if getting to Asphalt Beach is not possible for you.

Read reviews online about different skates before you buy.  Some skates are made for narrow feet and will pinch you/give you blisters if you have wide feet. Skates made for wide feet will also give you blisters from your feet sliding around if you have narrow feet. Boots have different qualities of materials...research to learn what is best for you at this time. If you start with a simple skate in the $100-150 range, you will likely want to upgrade within a year.  Typically wheels with a rating of 91a to 94a are best for our floor. Some girls prefer softer wheels like 88a. (lower number means softer wheel.)

We have recently begun allowing skaters 18 and up to train with us. If you know someone under the age of 18 who is interested in derby refer them to the Nashville Junior Roller Derby League: http://www.nashvillejrd.com/.

Any questions?  Email me at skaltj4077@aol.com and I'll try my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:38:56 am by 5 Scar Jeneral »

BecciB

• Respect: 0
Re: Next Derby 101 is October 17th at 12pm
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »
Eek!  I've been waiting for this date!  Hooray!

Keep calm and derby on.

Death Blossom

Late Start?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »
Hello! I was planning to attend Derby 101 on the 17th but unexpectedly had to go out of town and just got back tonight. I saw in 5 Scar's post that newbies are allowed to join the Fresh Meat class before the first week is up and I just wanted to make sure that it's not too late for me to slip into this  class by coming to Thursday's practice.

Thanks!

5 Scar Jeneral

Re: Late Start?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 06:48:37 am »
Hello! I was planning to attend Derby 101 on the 17th but unexpectedly had to go out of town and just got back tonight. I saw in 5 Scar's post that newbies are allowed to join the Fresh Meat class before the first week is up and I just wanted to make sure that it's not too late for me to slip into this  class by coming to Thursday's practice.

Thanks!

We do not have practice on Thursday due to a league meeting.  I'll PM you

Death Blossom

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 01:59:33 pm »
Okay, thanks!

SnakeBite

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:43:48 am »
Hi
 I am a newbie hear, live in cookeville so when do you have the next Derby 101?

Slammy

• Respect: +11
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 10:15:01 am »
It will most likely take place in February. We are currently in the middle of our current training class and with our off-season break coming up, this one may run a little long.

In the meantime, feel free to come watch a scrimmage one Wednesday evening before our break at 7:30pm at the Fairgrounds and talk to me. There is a scrimmage this Wednesday the 17th, as well as December 1st and 15th.
Why NOT Freddy?

SnakeBite

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 07:27:39 pm »
Thanks i will try to be there dec 1 where is it at the fair grounds I have been there off 44o near the race track. thanks  ;D